Wednesday, September 06, 2006

 

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s….a life size replica of Octopus Man!

Hey Y’all. It’s still me, Our Woman in L.A. Like I said, Our Man in L.A. is taking the week off from blog writing, and he asked me to log in for the week to make sure people knew we were still alive. We are. Things are good. It’s really hot here, as September usually is, and I can’t wait for October.

So, on Labor Day, I took Chris to the California Science Center. They were having an exhibit on the science of superheroes, and Monday was the last day. He really wanted to go. Really, really wanted to go. So, we went.

Now, I’m no stranger to comics and superhero stuff. I’ve memorized the names of all the members of the Justice League. I have watched my fair share of Batman Beyond shows. I have even been to a comics convention, Wizard World. I love my husband. Clearly.

Well, on Monday, we went to see this exhibit on the science of superheroes. There was a gigantic Octopus Man (or as I am told, he’s called “Doctor Octopus”). Under the big sea creature super villain were a series of shoes with their laces untied. The exhibit asked you to tie the shoes. The catch? You had to use gigantic scissor-hands to do it. Wow, I had no idea how hard it was for Octopus Dude to tie his shoes. Maybe he should think about some penny loafers. Or Docksiders? Might help him catch his prey a bit quicker.

There was the Spider-man portion. You could test the strength of life size web lines, to show the strength all spiders have. They are strong.

One of my favorite parts was the Daredevil exhibit. This superhero is blind. Didn’t you see the movie with Ben Affleck? I had to. It was not good. But the exhibit was pretty interesting. They had you smell a bunch of different scents to determine what the smell was. I got them all right!! Plus, you had to put your hand through this tube and feel the object on the other side to determine what they were. I got all those right too! Yay!

Of course, the highlight of the day was Chris standing in line with a bunch of 8-year-old boys for the Iron Man exhibit. If you waited, you got to lift a car! That’s right, folks, lift a real, life-sized car. Just the shear excitement on my hubby’s face as he did this was worth the price of admission.

All in all, the exhibit was neat. Watching my husband’s face light up as he went from exhibit to exhibit was the best part. Superheroes may be able to lift cars, and walk on walls and fly and turn invisible. But it’s the qualities in my everyday superhero - my husband - that make me feel protected. From, you know, the forces of evil.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?